Gor SL
17. April 2014, 06:20:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Contact Search Calendar Login Register   *
PayPal Donations

Donations of any size and regularity are always welcome to help offset the costs of maintaining this site.
Recent
[Today at 03:05:18]

[Yesterday at 18:05:22]

[Yesterday at 17:50:38]

[Yesterday at 15:28:46]

[15. April 2014, 14:50:43]

[14. April 2014, 19:03:07]

[14. April 2014, 00:32:55]

[13. April 2014, 20:12:33]

[12. April 2014, 19:11:56]

[12. April 2014, 07:30:53]
Calendar
April 2014
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
______ Holidays ______
Apr 22 - Earth Day
links one shouldn't miss
SomaFM commercial free internet radio" border=0 width=150 height=50

Visit the GRC in SecondLife"  border=0 height=187 width=150
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thought emoting  (Read 6234 times)
kirnak resident

The two best teachers are love and pain.

« 25. March 2011, 22:07:03 »
When I came to Gor I was too intimidated to dive right into to what at the time seemed like the bizarre practice of role playing, so I attended one of the several “kajira schools” that are found all over Gor (an interesting topic perhaps for another post).  I took classes on emoting and I was taught that even the slightest hint of a thought emote was bad.  Now that I finally made my way out into the world of Gor, I find that many of the best roleplayers I know use thought emotes shamelessly.

I have known a few roleplayers who almost completely avoid thought emotes, and the best of them can develop some really effective roleplay that is impressive to watch.  But I find some level of thought emotes creep into most people’s roleplay and that many don’t even try to avoid them.

I think most agree that the passive-aggressive thought emote is weak roleplay, but I’m wondering what others think about the ability of thought emotes to paint a rich, almost novel-like atmosphere in roleplay versus the discipline and challenge of thought-emote-free roleplay.  Do you use thought emotes?  Do you appreciate them in other people’s roleplay?
Poisonous Adored
« 25. March 2011, 23:37:40 »
I emote some of my thoughs, to illustrate my emotions and feelings, in some way, as if I was writting a novel. I am not an exception, many people use this kind of thought. But I will never use thoughs to insult people.

For example, don't do that:
"/me thinks that X is a moron etc etc" 

But that is fine:
 "/me was pondering about her last painful experience, she felt so humiliated and was determined to take a revenge. She smiled with hypocrisy... bla bla bla"

And please, the "kajira schools"... Join a slaver house for a full IC training, you will learn better in role play, in observing others, too, than in one of these schools who create just perfect robot kajirae (cookie butter).
Develop the personality of your character and your creativity in role play, really, run away from these schools.

kirnak resident

The two best teachers are love and pain.

« 25. March 2011, 23:53:09 »
And please, the "kajira schools"... Join a slaver house for a full IC training, you will learn better in role play, in observing others, too, than in one of these schools who create just perfect robot kajirae (cookie butter).
Develop the personality of your character and your creativity in role play, really, run away from these schools.

I couldn't agree with you more on that!  I wish I'd known that before I wasted 6 weeks of my second life in one of them.  I recall at one point I was going to leave and go become a city slave somewhere and was told, "Sure, go  . if you want to be raped several times a day"  I wish I'd said . . "Oh really?  Where do I sign up" . .but alas, didn't  . . .
serene mistwood
« 26. March 2011, 00:07:55 »
Funny how we all have completely different experiences of similar things.

I went through GPSU as a slave (Gorean Pleasure Silk University) and found it a creative and wonderful learning experience that promoted and taught individuality was important above everything as a slave, and that all Masters were just as unique.  Not a *cookie cutter* slave experience at all - a term that I actually find as insulting and as ignorant as *cap whore*.  Often these girls are just learning and striving to be the best they can and will find their individuality and personna given time and encouragement.  And as you only spend a few hours a week there in lessons, you do still learn though IC RP and interaction.  Its not seperate from it.  

I wasnt taught that thought emotes were bad RP either, in fact, quite the opposite in that they should be used to express your innermost feelings and desires in areas such as serving, dance, and pleasure.  

I cant speak of slaver houses in cities as I have never been in one apart from a 3 day cap and it would be unfair to judge it on that.  
Xaz Elephas
Global Moderator

« 26. March 2011, 00:20:20 »
I don't like thought emotes reason is this, no one can read thoughts so it does not give your fellow role-players anything they can role-play off except /me see you are in deep thought; where as emotions and body movements, body language do. If someone just stands there and does thought emotes I just walk away because I can't read there thoughts and they just are not involving in role-play.

Passive Agreesive thought emotes a BIG no-no and I find people who use them and are that skanky in there role-play I don't even want to role-play with them at all.

I'm the dude playing the dude disguised as another dude.
dana Tehani
Gorean Stone Henge

« 26. March 2011, 00:25:28 »
I emote some of my thoughs, to illustrate my emotions and feelings, in some way, as if I was writting a novel. I am not an exception, many people use this kind of thought. But I will never use thoughs to insult people.

For example, don't do that:
"/me thinks that X is a moron etc etc" 

But that is fine:
 "/me was pondering about her last painful experience, she felt so humiliated and was determined to take a revenge. She smiled with hypocrisy... bla bla bla"

Couldnt agree more.. using emotes should be to back up your story and show your emotions. Sometimes I use them to explain an action Lina did etc.. Nothing wrong with emotes so long keep respectful and just there to back your story.

Honesty is the key to a relationship.
If you can fake that, you're in!
serene mistwood
« 26. March 2011, 00:27:18 »
@ Xaz

Yes, there are times in RP when its inappropriate for two-way communication, but also moments where it can enhance RP too in a narrative style.  Would depend on the situation for me when I use them and mostly use an active + a thought emote in the same paragraph.  
Chimes Acker

~Beast~ MA Storm BC

« 26. March 2011, 01:46:20 »
I seem to agree that thought emoting can hinder RP to a free and slow the flow of it in many ways. Though I disagree when it comes to a slave to some extent. To stay away from it is hard to do and it's great when one can do both well or even decently. To incorporate the thought emote with active RP of the Characters personality can be very informative also to a point. .

I do a lot of thought emoting but I do have a question to those that have RP'ed with me and know I try to do both intermixed. Master Xaz would be a good one to ask actually or Lina for instance or any others for that matter.. Do mine bother you? And if so, what would you advise that would make it more enjoyable to you taking into consideration my roll as a slave?

Beast ~ Chimes Acker
« Last Edit: 26. March 2011, 01:48:43 by Chimes Acker » Logged

“An archaeologist is the best husband a woman can have. The older she gets the more interested he is in her.”

Agatha Christie
Caliway
lives here

Cal Wopat

« 26. March 2011, 04:50:24 »

But that is fine:

Why do i think this was something about me

Embrace the Story, it may not always be there
Xaz Elephas
Global Moderator

« 26. March 2011, 07:14:03 »
I seem to agree that thought emoting can hinder RP to a free and slow the flow of it in many ways. Though I disagree when it comes to a slave to some extent. To stay away from it is hard to do and it's great when one can do both well or even decently. To incorporate the thought emote with active RP of the Characters personality can be very informative also to a point. .

I do a lot of thought emoting but I do have a question to those that have RP'ed with me and know I try to do both intermixed. Master Xaz would be a good one to ask actually or Lina for instance or any others for that matter.. Do mine bother you? And if so, what would you advise that would make it more enjoyable to you taking into consideration my roll as a slave?

Beast ~ Chimes Acker

No and your the exception to it.

I'm the dude playing the dude disguised as another dude.
dana Tehani
Gorean Stone Henge

« 26. March 2011, 08:47:47 »

Beast ~ Chimes Acker

So far, I have never seen any emote from you that I found rude. I think you use it to enhance rp and not tell people off.. thats the important part! I have enjoyed your rp and you should keep it up.

Honesty is the key to a relationship.
If you can fake that, you're in!
Persis Ishtari

« 26. March 2011, 12:09:10 »
I really enjoy thought emotes that are pro active, developing and somthing you can rp with.

I have recently left SL on several occations after having very insulting thought emotes both from men but also and especially from other slaves. Often its about how i rp, often its her way of telling me ( or others around us) how badly i behave. Usually i am rather strong and can deal with it, but lately its like my filter had gotten thinner and thinner and they get to me.
* Persis Ishtari arches a brow seeing the very tanned blond slave leave without being dismissed.
* Persis Ishtari frowns seeing the slave not greet the Free properly....
* Persis Ishtari sees the slave entering wondering how her skin can be so tanned with such blond hair.
* Persis Ishtari wonders why the slave of Minus wears a horn as if she was a bond
* Persis Ishtari wonders why the sleve doesnt tower infront of a free woman

I can rp my butt of and emote and emote and maybe this is all i get in like 2 hours....does it make any one happy?? The sender? Does it make her day, to point me out like that? If i dont tower, i might do it for a reason, if i dont kneel i might think its unrealistic for slaves to jump up and down like a silly rabbit..

Sorry..i am getting upset by this thread, but its really affecting me these days Smiley

Persis Ishtari: Within the reach of a man sword, he is an Ubar...Within the reach of a mans sword, a woman is a slave.
Conall DeCuir
lives here

« 26. March 2011, 13:10:28 »
It's not really worth to bother to much about thought emoters, though i admit that they leave me sometimes headshaking, like yesterday when a slave i dismissed emoted that she would gladly go to the docks where it would smell less. I do not pay attention anymore to such "roleplayers" and she simply will be ignored for the future. Sure i could have told her "come back" after her emote but for what ? Case closed, she had her chance and failed  Smiley
Adoveea Rau
Global Moderator

« 26. March 2011, 14:11:06 »
The point is a roleplay style. Do you consider your text writing a description like a book someone is reading or do you consider your text writing an active living character.
I'm an active *living character* present in the world reacting to other *active* players. So my words will always be *present* and you cannot read my mind, just like the real world.
Active:
Dove rakes her cold grey eyes up and down the slave and her level  tone comes out in dry sarcasm "another collared animal sitting there watching us all, how charmingly droll. You lazy worthless beast, are your chores done? *pauses* or do you think that you have the right to just sit around and think? " and her hand goes instantly to her whip.

Compared to writing a descriptive book:
Dove looks and sees a slave and her thoughts make her jaw clench, another slave sitting on her rear, watching the Free and doing nothing. Perhaps the careless animal had already done her chores, but to her mind, it's a worthless beast that should be beaten again and again instead of being so lazy and permitted to sit and think, and her hand goes to her whip as she stares at it.

Both of these have a reaction ending with a whip, but in the active first post, the other roleplayer has not only the whip to respond to, but my questioning and words to answer to. My descriptive post has only the action hand going to the whip.

That is the difference of thought emoting vs active roleplay.
« Last Edit: 26. March 2011, 14:31:39 by Adoveea Rau » Logged

Reputation is what others know about you, honor is what you know about yourself
Persis Ishtari

« 26. March 2011, 14:43:06 »
sorry wrong posting  Kiss
« Last Edit: 26. March 2011, 14:46:30 by Persis Ishtari » Logged

Persis Ishtari: Within the reach of a man sword, he is an Ubar...Within the reach of a mans sword, a woman is a slave.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: