Gor SL
20. October 2017, 16:26:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Contact Search Calendar Login Register   *
PayPal Donations

Donations of any size and regularity are always welcome to help offset the costs of maintaining this site.
Calendar
October 2017
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
______ Holidays ______
Oct 24 - United Nations Day
links one shouldn't miss
SomaFM commercial free internet radio" border=0 width=150 height=50

Visit the GRC in SecondLife"  border=0 height=187 width=150
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Free Woman be Magistrates in Gor  (Read 36490 times)
Elle Couerblanc

« 05. October 2013, 21:35:59 »
@Syndel I was only saying who the conversation was between so others not as familiar with the books wouldn't take it as a reference to Talena. Sorry if it looked like I was trying to correct you Smiley

The point of my post was to agree with what you are ascerting in terms of the plausibility of a female leader in Gor.  Where I think the role play possibilities are thrown out are with the insta titles that are given to often in SL Gor - both for women AND men.  Why not let a woman vye for the role of magistrate? Why not allow her to RP out the possibilities of it being her biggest achievement or her biggest failure in terms of men finding a way to <insert sarcasm font> "bring her to her knees" so she can see MEN are truly the leaders of gor!!!

@Reverend psychoevolutionism or not is really not the point. If the males see some reason to put the woman in a position in which they "believe" they can ultimately control the decisions of a neutral party - why the hell not? They did with Tarna and maybe Talena as well.  Why not make it more localized in terms of caste vs army or city control.  For example, some members of the merchants want more of a say in the decisions regarding court rulings but they don't want to risk putting a man in place who might decide to do things his own way.  He's a gorean man right? In the eyes of the Merchants, controlling a man might be more difficult than controlling a woman *cough*.  If the RP is there to back up her progression up the ladder of  her caste I could see it happen. Isn't Gor about power and control, even if it's on a civic level?

If you follow most of the story in the book the notion of equity between men and women is one of the weakness of Earth. Gorean men are considered superior to those of Earth for that specific reason in Norman work. It is BTB the morality of Gor. So female magistrate? Female juging male that are not Kajiru... Improbable.

In SL, possible, even BTB sim have some adaptation for making RP possible.

How can putting a woman in position of power to be used as a pawn considered an act of equality? They want control in decisions that concern them and since they view women as weaker would she not fit the bill?

Visit me at Elle's World for fashion and fun!
http://ellecouerblanc.com/
**FYI I turn off all forum profile pics. I haven't a clue what your avatar gender is!**
Nigaltwaddlesworthiii

« 08. October 2013, 05:46:11 »

How can putting a woman in position of power to be used as a pawn considered an act of equality? They want control in decisions that concern them and since they view women as weaker would she not fit the bill?

I would tend to agree with you Elle, and have to wonder what about this point you and others make is difficult to understand..  Huh

Edit for clarification:

It is clear that on SL, there has to be some leway given for some roles due to the lack of male player interest in such roles. That being a given, I view it as perfectly BTB that a woman would and could be used as a tool of ambitious and power hungry men to forward their own agendas. Placing a woman in some position of authority as a puppet is perfectly BTB manipulation, even if it is used as an example of 'why women should never be in power'. If she is the tool of men, ultimately she has no actual power over them, and is only serving to promote a man's agenda in a male dominated world.

« Last Edit: 08. October 2013, 05:57:28 by Nigaltwaddlesworthiii » Logged

Life asked Death, "Why do people love me, but hate you?"
Death answered, "Because you are the beautiful lie, and I, am the painful Truth"
Kail Lefevre
lives here

Com'on! It's not Rocket Surgery!

« 08. October 2013, 16:51:16 »
Have to watch that whole installing a woman to rule so you can control her thing.

Look how well that worked in the Eragon books with the Varden

Reputation is what other people know about you.Honor is what you know about yourself.There is no more hollow feeling than to stand with your honor shattered at your feet while soaring public reputation wraps you in rewards.That’s soul-destroying.The other way around is merely irritating -L.M.Bujold
8lue8eard

« 20. August 2014, 16:49:59 »
A Magistrate has to be able to enforce the law, keep the peace and command men to carry out orders.  Kind of like a Sheriff.

Just as a small point the job you describe here is that of a praetor, the praetor is the sheriff the magistrate is for all over purposes a judge, the praetor will get warrants (if they are of the same city, visitors just get arrested) to have people arrested and charge them with a crime, hopefully with evidence and the magistrates job is then to determined if the person is guilty or innocent
ashellia resident

« 19. April 2017, 15:58:39 »
One role I have had issue with a woman filling is Slaver. Frankly, it is a personal bias, and not one that is based on book quotations. I can certainly see this role of kennel mistress, though that can also be a slave role. In any case, my two tarsks - nothing philosophical, just an opinion.

Twirls a collar around my finger looking to the free man--come in to my parlor said the spider to the fly....

~Ash
House of Thorne
Slave House, Svago Gor.

House of Thorne
[HoT] Head Slaver
Nakshydil

« 21. April 2017, 01:25:18 »
One role I have had issue with a woman filling is Slaver. Frankly, it is a personal bias, and not one that is based on book quotations. I can certainly see this role of kennel mistress, though that can also be a slave role. In any case, my two tarsks - nothing philosophical, just an opinion.

Twirls a collar around my finger looking to the free man--come in to my parlor said the spider to the fly....

~Ash
House of Thorne
Slave House, Svago Gor.

"Most female slavers, incidentally, are not involved in field captures. It is, on the whole, too dangerous for them. Too, there is always the danger that they might be added to the catch by their men. Most female slavers, accordingly, are established in cities, where they own or manage houses. There they buy and sell slaves, board or rent them, train them, and so on. Statistically, there are very few female slavers. Most Gorean women tend to be attractive, and most Gorean men tend to be strong, for example. Accordingly, in a business such as slaving it is not unusual that the female slaver sooner or later, in one way or the another finds the collar on her own throat. That, then, she then helplessly under the whip like any other female, is that."
(Players of Gor)

Also, in fighting slave of Gor, female slavers tend to deal with male slaves. From what we can read in all the other books, it's very unlikely and wouldn't make sense that a female slaver gets involved with the training of pleasure slave girls. In Kajira of Gor, slave girls are trained by whip masters, and in other books, their trainers are commonly other kajirae.

I have yet to see a female slaver character, in SL Gor, played the way such a character is described in the books....

Akane Nacht

« 21. April 2017, 04:33:33 »
... their trainers are commonly other kajirae.

This is one of my favourite roles to play, though I've generally been kajirae-trainer in taverns, never in a slaver house. Great fun, especially with an audience of customers <3
Aphris Myoo

Lady Aphris of the Kataii, yearkeeper

« 21. April 2017, 20:39:59 »

~Ash
House of Thorne
Slave House, Svago Gor.

We had an omen reading lately where the priest exactly warned a female slaver for this, because he foresaw her being captured as trade ware by her collegeas

Lady Aphris of the Kataii, yearkeeper
She smiled. "I have grown fond of the smell of bosk," said she. Kamchak smiled. He held his hand to the girl. "Ride with me, Aphris of Turia," said Kamchak of the Tuchuks. Nomads of Gor
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: