Gor SL
25. May 2017, 14:18:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Contact Search Calendar Login Register   *
PayPal Donations

Donations of any size and regularity are always welcome to help offset the costs of maintaining this site.
Calendar
May 2017
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
______ Holidays ______
May 29 - Memorial Day
links one shouldn't miss
SomaFM commercial free internet radio" border=0 width=150 height=50

Visit the GRC in SecondLife"  border=0 height=187 width=150
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slaves wearing Sandals..  (Read 4805 times)
Adoveea Rau

« 03. May 2016, 04:53:14 »
In the past I've had to yank out the quotes for slaves wanting to wear footware.
Now, standard roleplay for slaves is barefoot!!
(gotta show off your painted pretty mesh toes slaves!)

But if you're a high slave, aka, you cost your owner alot, kept in expensive silks and all that..
your owner might give you sandals.

Slaves do wear sandals, but they are highly valued slaves.

Witness of Gor  page 235

But naturally my mind raced ahead. I had learned in the pens that I was unusually beautiful and desirable. Similarly I had trained quickly and exceedingly well. Too, though I was often terrified, I, on the whole, loved my new life. In it I had my sex had for the first time in my life become truly meaningful. No longer was the most important thing I was to be regarded as an inconsequential accident, as a mere irrelevancy. Rather its significance was recognized and, by strong men, would be uncompromisingly enjoyed and exploited. I had found my life and my meaning in bondage. I had, in this far place, for the first time in my life, come home to myself. I had once in the pens jested with a guard, confiding to him that it seemed I was “born for the collar.’ I have not forgotten his reply. He said, simply, “So, too, are all women.” But with respect to my disposition I was sure, given my beauty and desirability, and my talents, even such as they were now, that it would be a lofty one. I was thinking in terms of the high slave, one of great value, one who might even expect sandals, to say nothing of costly, if revealing, silks, and perhaps even a golden collar. Had not that female, Dorna, a high slave, clearly exhibited jealousy of me? Perhaps I would be first girl in the slave quarters. I might receive further training. I might be displayed with pride to a master’s acquaintances, or perhaps, as a state slave, to foreign diplomats or merchants. I would not need to fear the lash like a common girl. I might be often called to the couch of high men, to kneel there, belled and perfumed, and kiss the coverlets, and then, bidden, to insinuate myself sinuously into their arms."

Vagabonds of Gor page 81.
"Slaves are commonly kept barefoot. High slaves, on the other hand, often have sandals, sometimes lovely ones. To be sure, much depends on the terrain, and such. One would not wish a common slave to cut her feet or roughen them."

Mariners of Gor

“I looked back, below, to see the slave, punishment-bound, at the second mast. Her feet were bare, as is common with a slave in good weather. Free women feel that a slave, as she is an animal, should not be shod, no more than a verr or kaiila, but such things are, of course, up to the master. Some slaves, high slaves, may have sandals, even slippers, set with precious stones, but a free woman is likely to order them to remove such presumptuous footwear in their presence, and sometimes to bring them to them, dangling from their mouths, humbly, head down, on all fours, rather as a pet sleen or slave might bring footwear to her master.” 

« Last Edit: 03. May 2016, 04:57:51 by Adoveea Rau » Logged

Reputation is what others know about you, honor is what you know about yourself
Oor Breen

« 03. May 2016, 13:37:27 »
Is the point of this "sometimes slaves wear sandals" or is it "slaves are usually barefoot"?

Pa-pa-pa-POW!
Adoveea Rau

« 03. May 2016, 14:31:40 »
Is the point of this "sometimes slaves wear sandals" or is it "slaves are usually barefoot"?
Both.

Reputation is what others know about you, honor is what you know about yourself
Oor Breen

« 03. May 2016, 16:05:57 »
Aight. I had a NC somewhere with a load of sandals quotes. I'll see if I can find it to paste.

Pa-pa-pa-POW!
Leith Constantine

« 03. May 2016, 17:49:09 »
In the past I've had to yank out the quotes for slaves wanting to wear footware.
Now, standard roleplay for slaves is barefoot!!
(gotta show off your painted pretty mesh toes slaves!)

But if you're a high slave, aka, you cost your owner alot, kept in expensive silks and all that..
your owner might give you sandals.

Slaves do wear sandals, but they are highly valued slaves.

Witness of Gor  page 235

But naturally my mind raced ahead. I had learned in the pens that I was unusually beautiful and desirable. Similarly I had trained quickly and exceedingly well. Too, though I was often terrified, I, on the whole, loved my new life. In it I had my sex had for the first time in my life become truly meaningful. No longer was the most important thing I was to be regarded as an inconsequential accident, as a mere irrelevancy. Rather its significance was recognized and, by strong men, would be uncompromisingly enjoyed and exploited. I had found my life and my meaning in bondage. I had, in this far place, for the first time in my life, come home to myself. I had once in the pens jested with a guard, confiding to him that it seemed I was “born for the collar.’ I have not forgotten his reply. He said, simply, “So, too, are all women.” But with respect to my disposition I was sure, given my beauty and desirability, and my talents, even such as they were now, that it would be a lofty one. I was thinking in terms of the high slave, one of great value, one who might even expect sandals, to say nothing of costly, if revealing, silks, and perhaps even a golden collar. Had not that female, Dorna, a high slave, clearly exhibited jealousy of me? Perhaps I would be first girl in the slave quarters. I might receive further training. I might be displayed with pride to a master’s acquaintances, or perhaps, as a state slave, to foreign diplomats or merchants. I would not need to fear the lash like a common girl. I might be often called to the couch of high men, to kneel there, belled and perfumed, and kiss the coverlets, and then, bidden, to insinuate myself sinuously into their arms."

Vagabonds of Gor page 81.
"Slaves are commonly kept barefoot. High slaves, on the other hand, often have sandals, sometimes lovely ones. To be sure, much depends on the terrain, and such. One would not wish a common slave to cut her feet or roughen them."

Mariners of Gor

“I looked back, below, to see the slave, punishment-bound, at the second mast. Her feet were bare, as is common with a slave in good weather. Free women feel that a slave, as she is an animal, should not be shod, no more than a verr or kaiila, but such things are, of course, up to the master. Some slaves, high slaves, may have sandals, even slippers, set with precious stones, but a free woman is likely to order them to remove such presumptuous footwear in their presence, and sometimes to bring them to them, dangling from their mouths, humbly, head down, on all fours, rather as a pet sleen or slave might bring footwear to her master.” 

I think they key word to consider here is "commonly". I "commonly" wear pants... but not always *grins* Use of that word, means to me, that it's not "always".

« Last Edit: 04. May 2016, 00:25:20 by Leith Constantine » Logged

The Gods destroy, those they first make proud.
Oor Breen

« 04. May 2016, 12:05:14 »
While you're semantically correct, Leith, "Commonly" means very often or frequently. Consider "Leith very often wears pants" and "Leith doesn't always wear pants". They mean the same thing, really, but the former lets people know that, more often than not, you will be seen wearing pants. The latter doesn't really speak to frequency. And so it is for high slaves. More often than not, high slaves will be permitted sandals.

I see no sense at all in attempting to define this in terms of when a slave would NOT have sandals, when we are very expressly told that the slave would have sandals very frequently.

Pa-pa-pa-POW!
Arthurine Somerset

Lækný Lofgren Koskinen

« 04. May 2016, 12:33:20 »
I - and the people who have owned my character - just use common sense. Going barefooted and using sandals (or even boots) as a status symbol is all very well if the slave is somewhere where she is unlikely to badly damage her feet. But there are chores and places where being barefooted could cause damage. For example, in mountainous regions or the middle of winter in anywhere there is snow. People tend to forget the 'little things'. If a character has mostly walked barefooted on grass, coming to a city or anywhere with cobbles is going to hurt the feet until they have toughened up. Same goes for new slaves who have never walked barefooted but are suddenlly expected to walk everywhere like that. And well, frost bite anyone?
Leith Constantine

« 04. May 2016, 17:15:06 »
While you're semantically correct, Leith, "Commonly" means very often or frequently. Consider "Leith very often wears pants" and "Leith doesn't always wear pants". They mean the same thing, really, but the former lets people know that, more often than not, you will be seen wearing pants. The latter doesn't really speak to frequency. And so it is for high slaves. More often than not, high slaves will be permitted sandals.

I see no sense at all in attempting to define this in terms of when a slave would NOT have sandals, when we are very expressly told that the slave would have sandals very frequently.

Well spoken and I stand corrected!

The Gods destroy, those they first make proud.
Caranda Schreiner

« 14. May 2016, 00:43:07 »
Some more quotes on the subject, all basically to the same point - slavegirls (weather permitting) usually go barefoot but may be permitted footwear like sandals or slippers.  High slaves are much more likely to get them:

Gorean slave girls, incidentally, almost always go barefoot; it is a rare girl, and a high girl, who is permitted sandals.

(Beasts)

...most Gorean slaves are not permitted footwear at all. They are commonly kept barefoot.

(Players)

It is regarded as right to enslave a natural slave
RavingRob Radek

« 16. May 2016, 16:28:06 »
My "source of gray hair" sparkle, being sparkle...even complains about having to put on SL footwear, for non-gorean settings  Grin
severus koskinen
Global Moderator

Serpent™ Assassin of Gor

« 17. May 2016, 22:28:07 »
Slaves barefoot in the north when there is snow everywhere always makes me laugh. 

Arguing with idiots is like playing Kaissa with a Vulo...
No matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
Liara Edring

« 18. May 2016, 02:55:21 »
Slaves barefoot in the north when there is snow everywhere always makes me laugh. 

Frostbite is obviously just an Urth concern.   Roll Eyes

"No matter how upset you get, no matter how irrational the initial reaction to getting your nose a little out of joint is, you are not allowed to lose sight of the fact that there is no possible way anything that happens in 'pretendy fun time games' can actually be important."
Aphris Myoo

Lady Aphris of the Kataii, yearkeeper

« 18. May 2016, 17:22:57 »
Probably she has a bare chested master who challenges the freezing winter.

Lady Aphris of the Kataii, yearkeeper
She smiled. "I have grown fond of the smell of bosk," said she. Kamchak smiled. He held his hand to the girl. "Ride with me, Aphris of Turia," said Kamchak of the Tuchuks. Nomads of Gor
Caranda Schreiner

« 15. May 2017, 07:32:46 »
Sandals are usually reckoned as a privilege of High Slaves, setting them apart and above your run of the mill slave who has to go barefoot.  But obviously in climates where bare feet would lead to physical injury (or worst frostbite) then you would expect slaves to be given sensible footwear.

It is regarded as right to enslave a natural slave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: