Claiming a companion???

(1/10) > >>

Rayzor McAuley:
I'm a Torvaldslander.  I can't boast that I've read every book cover-to-cover, but I have read the most pertinent book to the culture, Marauders of Gor.  This being said, there is no mention of the practice of "claiming" a woman as your free companion in Torvaldsland, yet the practice seems commonplace in SL Gor.  Does the practice of claiming a woman as your free companion exist in other books, or is this completely an onlineism?  Please post direct book references, not opinions such as "a man takes what he wants in Gor."  We all know that men dominate, but when a man lays claim to a female, it is usually to fit her neck in a collar.

Anarch Allegiere:
I don't know how it goes in Torvaldsland, but in the other places of Gor Free Women and Free Men get together because of consensual agreement, from her or her family, most of the time from what I understood. Free Women usually have status and worth and are almost respected in the same manner as the status of their father or male family members. A Free Woman that would let herself be claimed would in most cases just end up finding herself in a collar... and in other cases they often get forced in one if the situation permits it.

...Goreans, in their simplistic fashion, often contend, categorically, that man is naturally free and woman is naturally slave. But even for them the issues are far more complex than these simple formulations would suggest. For example, there is no higher person, nor one more respected, than the Gorean free woman. ...Goreans do believe, however, that every woman has a natural master or set of masters, with respect to whom she could not help but be a complete and passionate slave girl. These men occur in her dreams and fantasies. She lives in terror that she might meet one in real life. ...
---Hunters of Gor, 22:311

There is no marriage, as we know it, on Gor, but there is the institution of the Free Companionship, which is its nearest correspondent. Surprisingly enough, a woman who is bought from her parents, for tarns or gold, is regarded as a Free Companion, even though she may not have been consulted in the transaction. More commendably, a free woman may herself, of her own free will, agree to be such a companion. And it is not unusual for a master to free one of his slave girls in order that she may share the full privileges of a Free Companionship. One may have, at a given time, an indefinite number of slaves, but only one Free Companion. Such relationships are not entered into lightly, and they are normally sundered only by death. Occasionally the Gorean, like his brothers in our world, perhaps even more frequently, learns the meaning of love.
---Outlaw of Gor, 6:54

This is a gray zone tho, since I'm pretty sure there will be alot of contradictory quotes in the books regarding the status of free women.

Pax Canning:
As far as I know, the only "claiming" of a Free Woman was done in Port Kar.  No contracts or anything, just the man saying he claimed her.

Rayzor McAuley:
Quote from: Anarch Allegiere on 19. August 2010, 22:18:43

I don't know how it goes in Torvaldsland, but in the other places of Gor Free Women and Free Men get together because of consensual agreement, from her or her family, most of the time from what I understood. Free Women usually have status and worth and are almost respected in the same manner as the status of their father or male family members. A Free Woman that would let herself be claimed would in most cases just end up finding herself in a collar... and in other cases they often get forced in one if the situation permits it.

...Goreans, in their simplistic fashion, often contend, categorically, that man is naturally free and woman is naturally slave. But even for them the issues are far more complex than these simple formulations would suggest. For example, there is no higher person, nor one more respected, than the Gorean free woman. ...Goreans do believe, however, that every woman has a natural master or set of masters, with respect to whom she could not help but be a complete and passionate slave girl. These men occur in her dreams and fantasies. She lives in terror that she might meet one in real life. ...
---Hunters of Gor, 22:311

There is no marriage, as we know it, on Gor, but there is the institution of the Free Companionship, which is its nearest correspondent. Surprisingly enough, a woman who is bought from her parents, for tarns or gold, is regarded as a Free Companion, even though she may not have been consulted in the transaction. More commendably, a free woman may herself, of her own free will, agree to be such a companion. And it is not unusual for a master to free one of his slave girls in order that she may share the full privileges of a Free Companionship. One may have, at a given time, an indefinite number of slaves, but only one Free Companion. Such relationships are not entered into lightly, and they are normally sundered only by death. Occasionally the Gorean, like his brothers in our world, perhaps even more frequently, learns the meaning of love.
---Outlaw of Gor, 6:54

This is a gray zone tho, since I'm pretty sure there will be alot of contradictory quotes in the books regarding the status of free women.

Indeed, I understand the rituals of the southern companionship.  The courting and the bride price and all of that.  Its just that, as long as I've been back where I belong....Torvaldsland....I've only seen one actual companionship ceremony, and that was between my daughter Tash and her FC Turbo.  They used the same ceremony that my woman and I used to be companioned ourselves....which was inspired by an actual Viking wedding ceremony.

Quote from: Pax Canning on 19. August 2010, 22:26:19

As far as I know, the only "claiming" of a Free Woman was done in Port Kar.  No contracts or anything, just the man saying he claimed her.

Please post the quote if you are able.

Aphris Myoo:
Claiming was for sure not done in the Plains. Kamchak just took Aphris in his sadle and rode off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page